Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Tiefer

After reading the whole book, I cannot decide if I agree wholeheartedly with Tiefer.  On the one hand, many symptoms and problems can be alleviated through non-prescription means.  On the other hand, if the pharmaceutical market went under, our economy would be in real trouble.  I appreciate what Tiefer is doing by keeping unsafe drugs off the market and by trying to open up the public's eyes about what sexuality is, especially to a woman.  I am really considering not using the word "normal" especially in practice because the idea is so subjective.  No one really knows what others are doing behind closed doors, in their own beds, even if the person tells you.  Most people make their sex life better than it is or exaggerate parts of it.  I appreciate the fact that reading Tiefer has made me realize that sexuality is completely subjective and that there is no "normal," but that it is all in the context.  It also seems to me that Female Sexual Dysfunction (FSD) should not be called a "disease," as many of the documentary guests called it.  To me, FSD is a part of life, where a woman is uninterested in sex when she is stressed out or has other things on her mind.  Thinking in an evolutionary perspective, men are "made" to be very sexual beings so they can spread their genes.  Women, on the other hand, are made to preserve their bodies.  Maybe that is why women are not aroused as often as men are.  More research needed!

No comments:

Post a Comment